Maulette Chateau

Vesgre and Opton Valley

The Vesgre is the main river crossing the Pays Houdanais. It arrives from the forest of Rambouillet, where it rises some 20 km to the southeast, near the Etangs de Hollande and flows into the Eure, north-west, at the Chaussee d'Ivry.

At the bottom of Houdan, more precisely in the grounds of the hospital, the Vesgre is joined by the Opton. The Vesgre as the Opton are capricious rivers which are able to flow out of bed easily. Their current is fast enough to power mills, private today.

POND OF THE COMMANDERIE IN CHAMPAGNE

This pond bypasses partially the farm of the Commandery. It was called "channels". A stream turned into a drainage ditch during the German occupation, feeds the pond.

PONDS OF GOUSSAINVILLE

Many farms were located in the village hence the importance of ponds.  There are still a few ponds today:

  • the pond usually called “pond of the church” situated near Saint Aignan church and an other situated at the corner of Rue de Brest and Chemin du Prieuré, listed in the Patrimony Register as “Mare du Prieuré”, commonly called “Mare à Baronnet”
  • the hamlet of Orval and the one of La Forêt possess their own pond.

THE PILGRIMS CROSS IN HOUDAN

This cross, erected in tribute to the first pilgrims gone from Houdan to Montserrat in 1582, is located on the edge of town on a hill accessible by road from the Abreuvoir tower. From here, a nice view over the city is offered to walkers.