Maulette Chateau

Religious heritage

The church of Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur was built in the 13th century. In 1510, it received in addition the titular of Saint-Christophe. The reconstruction lasted about 250 years (1525-1777). Its construction started in Flamboyant Gothic and continued in Renaissance. Several remarkable features can be discovered: a mural fresco realized in 1582 representing the pilgrimage to Montserrat, a painting of Louis Licherie "L’Adoration des Mages", the Great Historical Organs of Louis-Alexandre Cliquot (1734) and the inscription on the portal lintel "le Peuple Français  reconnoît l’Existence de l’Etre Suprême et l’Immortalité de l’Ame”.

It was built between 1133 and 1137 at the same time as the castle. After a fire, the nave was enlarged in the 17th century. In 1909, a hurricane destroyed the bell tower which collapsed on the nave. From the Romanesque period, there remains the choir, the transept and portal. Are to discover: the keystone of the 12th century, the font of the 13th century, the stone Virgin and Child of the 14th century, the altarpiece of the 17th century and the eagle lectern of the 19th century.

The nave being the oldest part of the building would date from the 12th century. The reconstruction of the church, made throughout the 16th century in Gothic, is indisputably linked to the family of Sabrevois. The tower was added in the 17th century and the vestry in the 18th century. The bell tower was built in 1603. While the transept and choir are Gothic, the high walls with few openings are rather Romanesque.

It would date from late 12th century / early 13th century, at least as regards the square tower. The latter was rebuilt in the 16th, where it takes the form of a keep. It shelters a high altar of the second half of the 17th century and the statue of Saint-Pierre.

Its construction can be dated to the 11th century. The nave, without transepts, was entirely made of vault with wooden polychrome of 16th century (1542). Two windows of the 16th century (the crucifixion and shields) are classified as historic monuments. The wooden furniture of the 18th and 19th centuries is present (closed benches, pew, confessional, pulpit and wooden walls).